POP-UPS, ADS, OPTIMIZATION, ETC – IF BLOGGING FOR READERS, STOP AND THINK ABOUT THEM
Do you want your readers to enjoy visiting your site, reading your blog posts, and for them to return again?
Consider the following:
• Annoying pop-ups asking your readers to sign up for your newsletter – Get rid of those! Put an email sign up on your sidebar or at the top or bottom of the page!
• Aggravating pop-up ads all over the page or ads that overlap the text content – No one wants to see that mess, seriously!
• Inappropriate ads – When you go to a family friendly blog site and you are immediately hit with ads that are definitely inappropriate for the particular site you’re visiting, it’s so disgusting! For example, you hop over to a food blogger’s recipe that sounds yummy but before you can see the recipe there ‘s a big, annoying ad for either toenail fungus, oozing pimples, erectile dysfunction, bladder leakage, or psoriasis to name a few! I’m a nurse, gross stuff doesn’t bother me but everyone isn’t a nurse. Ads like that are an immediate turnoff especially on a food blogger’s site. Another example, I was on a Christian site reading about scriptures in the Bible and what pops up right in the middle between two paragraphs? An ad for an alcohol brand saying if you get drunk your ugly girlfriend won’t look ugly! I saw another one on a similar site that said to cheat on your wife, not your workout! Yes, both on a Christian site! Then, what about these sites that run the same ad between paragraphs, in popups, or sidebars? Contrary to what some might think, ads like those do not reflect my recent searches! That’s an excuse that some bloggers will use about the inappropriate ads. I can guarantee you that I have never searched for such and I am the only one who uses my computer.
• Posts/pages that take forever to load due to pop-ups and ads, images that aren’t optimized, poor server performance, excessive plugins, unnecessary redirects, etc. – I have high speed cable internet, as well as a custom built desktop computer and laptop that are both supercharged, lightning fast! However, on some sites I just have to give up as they take forever to load. You can do better, you really can!
• Tiny, light-colored, or fancy font, all of which are hard to see and read – If your eyesight is good, you’re so fortunate but not everyone has good eyesight, not even if they wear contacts or glasses. This is so obvious!
What can you do to improve your site of these annoyances? If your site has none of these aggravations then you’re ahead of the game!
** DO YOU ATTEND BLOG PARTY LINKUPS?
We’d like to invite you to ours. See current link parties here!