LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE
Have you heard the old saying that laughter is the best medicine? Studies have shown that laughter is good for our health.
Norman Cousins (1915-1990), was an American political journalist, author, professor, and world peace advocate. He was diagnosed in 1964 with ankylosing spondylitis which caused him almost constant pain. His doctor told him he would die within a few months. Norman didn’t agree with the doctor and felt that positive emotions should help. He checked out of the hospital and exposed himself to a continuous stream of humorous films and laughing matter. He claimed that 10 minutes of belly rippling laughter would give him 2 hours of pain free sleep, something not even morphine could do.
He published an article in the New England Journal of Medicine in 1976 concerning the potential medicinal benefits of laughter and humor. His bestselling classic memoir, Anatomy of an Illness as Perceived by the Patient: Reflections on Healing and Regeneration, shows how the power of laughter was triumphant over illness and inspired a revolution, encouraging patients to take charge of their own treatment.
There are physical, mental, and social benefits of laughter:
• Physical Health Benefits – boosts immunity, decreases pain, lowers stress hormones, and relaxes your muscles
• Mental Health Benefits – adds joy and zest to life, eases anxiety and fear, and improves mood
• Social Benefits – attracts others to us, enhances teamwork, promotes bonding, and strengthens relationships
Take a look at these sites for info about laughter by putting laughter in the search box:
Here are 10 quotes on how laughter is the best medicine:
• A day without laughter is a day wasted.
• Laughter has no foreign accent.
• There is nothing in the world so irresistible as laughter and good humor.
• Laughter is a cleanser of stress.
• Hearty laughter is a good way to jog internally.
• Laughter helps relieve pain.
• Life is better when you are laughing.
• The best blush to use is laughter.
• A good laugh heals a lot of hurts.
• Laughter is the best tonic for physical, mental, social, psychological, and spiritual health.
What do you think? Do you believe laughter is good for our health? Do you have any quotes you can add to this list?
Click here to see where I party!