40 OLD PHRASES AND SAYINGS
Did you grow up hearing your elders say phrases that you had no idea what they meant?
I know I did.
Even today, when I hear or read such, I find myself thinking of my grandmother and recalling those old sayings coming out of her mouth.
Some of them you heard so often that they managed to make it into your vocabulary.
When I hear myself saying such, I smile and again I think of my grandmother.
Here’s 40 old phrases and sayings you might have heard:
• A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!
• A little bird told me a secret. (I didn’t know birds could talk!)
• A stitch in time saves nine. (Nine what?)
• A watched pot never boils! (This is so true!)
• Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?
• Don’t count your chickens before they hatch!
• Heavens to Betsy! (Who is Betsy?)
• I can’t get a word in edgeways.
• I feel finer than a frog’s hair split four ways! (I didn’t know frogs had hair!)
• I guess it grew legs and walked away!
• I love you a bushel and a peck!
• I wouldn’t touch that with a ten foot pole!
• If the good Lord is willing and the creek don’t rise! (Sounds serious!)
• I’m pleased as punch!
• It ain’t over until the fat lady sings!
• It’s time to bite the bullet!
• He kicked the bucket!
• He spilled the beans!
• Money doesn’t grow on trees! (Of course it doesn’t!)
• Pon my honor!
• She showed her true colors.
• She’s no spring chicken!
• Sleep tight, don’t let the bedbugs bite! (I wouldn’t sleep in that bed!)
• Speak of the devil!
• Take it with a grain of salt. (Take what and a grain of salt isn’t very much!)
• That just takes the cake!
• That will happen when pigs fly! (Pigs fly?)
• That’s all she wrote!
• The proof is in the pudding.
• That’s the real McCoy!
• They live so far out in the country that they get their sunshine pumped in!
• You are as handy as a pocket on a shirt! (That’s mighty handy!)
• You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.
• You can’t get blood from a turnip! (Who would even try such?)
• You’re as blind as a bat! (Bats are blind? Really?)
• Up the creek without a paddle!
• Well I’ll be a monkey’s uncle! (Say what?)
• Were you born in a barn?
• Whew, saved by the bell!
• You all are like two peas in a pod.
Can you add any to my list?