10 WAYS TO PRACTICE GRATITUDE FOR WORLD GRATITUDE DAY 2018
Gratitude is the quality of being thankful, a readiness to show appreciation for, and to return kindness.
Every year on September 21, World Gratitude Day is acknowledged.
It began in 1965 during an international gathering where those attending pledged to express gratitude and appreciation one day each year.
That gathering was at the International East-West Center in Hawaii where a Thanksgiving dinner was hosted by meditation guru Sri Chinmoy, director of United Nations Meditation Group. Attendance included delegates and officials from more than a dozen countries around the world.
Chinmoy (1931-2007) was an Indian spiritual leader who taught meditation after moving to New York City in 1964. He established his first meditation center in Queens, New York, and worked to foster compassion, gratitude, and peace.
Some of his quotes are:
• Gratitude is not a mere word; it is not a mere concept. It is the living breath of your real existence on earth.
• My life is only half full when I receive. My heart is completely full only when I give.
• World peace can be achieved when the power of love replaces the love of power.
• The very nature of kindness is to spread. If you are kind to others today, they will be kind to you, and tomorrow to somebody else.
• If you want to be unimaginably happy, then be an unconditional smile giver.
Today, the number of people celebrating World Gratitude Day has grown and grown.
Studies have shown that having “An Attitude of Gratitude” makes up happier. Being happy is said to improve our career, emotions, health, personality, and relationships.
Here are 10 ways you can practice gratitude today and every day:
• Express gratitude to someone
• Find gratitude in your challenges
• Give someone a compliment
• Smile at others more often
• Include an act of kindness toward someone
• Think of someone you are thankful for
• Think of something you are thankful for
• Stop and smell the roses
• Keep a gratitude journal
• Make a gratitude jar
What do you have to be thankful for?